Sunday, April 18, 2010

IN PRAISE OF EPHEMERA

by Roberta Jean Bryant


I’m an ephemeral events junkie, and particularly delighted that my most favorite example is arriving a month early. Pink dogwoods are blooming everywhere. They look like clouds of pink butterflies settling on silver-gray bare branches. If I could sing I’d burst into song, but end up settling for, “Look, look! Isn’t it glorious?” repeated many times over while driving around in the springtime.

“Ephemera” is a collective noun used to categorize “anything short-lived or transitory.” Antiques Roadshow experts refer to “paper ephemera” such as ticket stubs, event programs, letters and such because they are often discarded and most do not survive the years with the same permanency as a blanket chest or rocking chair.

Flowers are perfect. They bloom and die in a relatively short time span. Butterflies and fireflies and houseflies; asparagus and artichokes and pizza; clouds and rainbows and hailstorms. The aurora borealis and shooting stars and comets. All ephemeral.

Friends and lovers can often fall into this category too – much as we might wish it otherwise.

One reason I love ephemera is that I’m forced to enjoy them NOW. There’s no such thing as, “Wait a minute,” or later when a sunrise or sunset is happening. Often you can’t properly plan an ephemeral event anyway; too many variables.

Nevertheless, I am planning my annual pilgrimage to Denny Hall on the U of W campus. There I hope to find the huge old pink dogwood festooned with its seasonal costume of rosy butterflies before they fade away as perfect ephemera are wont to do. I don’t want to miss the show.

4 comments:

  1. Oh those lovely "snow drifts" of cherry blooms on the Quad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you familiar with the word 'synchronicity'?
    I first became aware of the word when I read "The Celestine Prophecy." It's meaning has something to do with meaningful life coincidences. Well I had a coincidence today. I don't think I ever heard or read the word ephemera. You explained the word wonderfully in your essay and then low and behold I'm looking through the Seattle Times NW Ticket and ephemera jumps out at me in an ad for the Seattle Book and Paper Show. So I'm pondering the meaningful coincedence and wondering if I should be out looking for a pink dogwood or making plans to attend the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love synchronicity! I'd be interested in your opinion of "The Celestine Prophecy"

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it. A friend gave me the book on tape and I must have listened to it a dozzen times. It was about twelve or thirteen years ago and of course it arrived at a perfect time in my life. Yeah Synchronicity!

    ReplyDelete